You and your team have a lot to do. To get through everything, make sure everybody is trained in how to be productive. Make sure you and your team are working on tasks that move you to your objectives.
The underlying philosophy of leaders of high growth companies is that they have a “do it now” attitude. They simply get on with the job and only do those tasks that move them towards their goals. Procrastination is the enemy of high growth. Doing nothing is no longer an option for any business, high growth or not.
Consider the following questions.
- Do you have clear objectives of what you want to achieve in the next 3-6 months?
- Do you make choices of what tasks you need to do based on achieving your objectives?
- Do you proactively manage your time?
- Do you create a short task list at the end of the day or the start of next so that you are clear on what you need to achieve during the working day?
- Do you have a “do It now” approach?
- Are you well organised?
- Is your and your team’s workspace clean, tidy and well organised?
- Do you and your team manage your emails well?
- Are you and your team good communicators?
- Do you have stand up meetings and keep sit down meetings to a minimum?
When you have considered the questions, work though each of them and write down your answers and create an action plan.
Your Action Plan
Your action plan should include, what, who is responsible and by when for the following:
- Write down 3 things that you really need to achieve within the next 3-6 months.
- Over the next 2 weeks write down everything you do and see if you can eliminate or delegate some of lower value tasks that you do and which don’t get you closer to achieving your objectives.
- Get into the practice of writing down 3-6 tasks that you need to complete during the day which move you forward to your objectives.
- Review your workplace. Is it decluttered? Is it clean? Is it easy to find what you need?
- Put 2-3 hours aside and ask your team to come in prepared to completely clean up and tidy their work area. Take a picture of the clean, tidy and organised area and pin the picture on a prominent location to remind everybody what the area should look like.
- Setup 10 minute stand up meetings at the start of the day/shift/handover. Ensure a senior manager attends the meeting for the first few weeks and agree metrics which will help the team meet the objectives of the business.
- Put in place ground rules for email management and identify those that struggle to manage their inbox and help them get in control.
This article is part of a larger project to help business owners and managers understand what it takes to grow your business successfully.