Identify Your Digital Media Strategy
Posted by Peter Dickinson
You have agreed the strategy for the business: £x million and y% net profit in 3 years serving your target markets with your key widgets. You have agreed a highly achievable 25% growth per year and you now turn to the marketing department to generate the leads/enquiries for your direct/internal sales teams/web sites/shops to fulfil.
However, your marketing department is in crisis. None of the standard marketing methods are working. It is getting harder to contact prospects by phone, direct mail isn’t working and your email is landing in the spam boxes of the recipients. Sound familiar?
Digital Media is the new kid on the block which is evolving in to new ways of communicating with your prospective customers. It is based on relationships; it is about getting the right information, to the right person at the right time.
Digital Media is all things digital in our connected world. Web sites, search engines, social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, blogs, customers using your systems to do it themselves whether ecommerce, mobile apps and cloud based systems so they can get what they want and when they want it. Digital Media is everywhere and continues to grow rapidly.
So once you have established what you would like to achieve with your business, you then need to answer the following:
- How do your customers interact with your business now?
- How you will you interact with them in 3 years time?
- Are there any trends in the way people are using and interacting with technology that will change the way in which you could communicate with them?
- Are there any disruptive technologies that could dramatically change the way customers interact with your business (e.g. ticketless web based low cost airlines and dramatically changed the what we pay to fly)?Is your product or service the best it can be for the price customers are willing to pay?
- Would the majority of your customers refer your product or service to another prospective customer?
- If you use ecommerce, can your customers review what you sell?
- Can you make your systems that support the customer journey available on a secure basis to your customers (e.g. ecommerce sites, collect from store, parts ordering, stock availability, delivery tracking, works in progress tracking, book tickets etc)?
- Do you have an opted-in subscriber list that is connected to key Social Networks?
- Could some of your systems be made available on Smart Phone applications?
- What additional information could you provide electronically that would help your customers (download manuals, installation guides, technical documents, white papers etc)?
- What videos could you provide (show reels, demonstrations, how to guides, training)?
- How can you make your communications materials multi-lingual so that you can support your export customers better?
- How do you customers use Twitter at the moment?
- Does your market use the social networking sites of Linkedin or Facebook?
- Does your industry use affiliate marketing? How can Digital Media support them better?
- Does your marketing department use the free online PR tools? Is your web site updated regularly with expert reports or new product news?
- Would your customer base be interested in web based events (webinars)?
The ideal way to do this exercise is as a cross functional group with key individuals from each department (and not necessarily the manager) in a relaxed workshop where creativity is supported. Digital Media is everywhere and so it will impact all customer facing functions. E.g. Marketing, Sales, Operations and Customer Services. You will also need the support of your IT support function as they will need to help you implement some of your Digital Media strategies. However, this is not a given. A considerable amount of your Digital Media strategy can be out-sourced.
The deliverables from the workshop would be a Digital Media strategy together with actions or projects to determine how the Digital Media strategy can be implemented.
If you would like a facilitator to help you run a Digital Media Strategy workshop for your business then please call 0845 053 7417.
About Peter DickinsonPeter Dickinson is an experienced chair, director, high growth business coach, facilitator, interim, marketeer, customer services champion, project manager, change management consultant and advisor and has worked with over 300 companies helping them develop a systematic approach to growing their businesses. Working with companies as a chair, high growth business coach, facilitator or interim, Peter will help crystallise the vision, rationalise strategy, identify the most cost effective routes to market including the development of new products, develop a consistent sales approach, champion customer service, streamline processes and identify key performance indicators to help drive the business to meet the goals of the main stakeholders. Peter Dickinson is working with Vistage International to set up two CEO peer group advisory boards for CEOs and Managing Directors in the North West, UK. If you are a CEO or Managing Director of a company with £5 million or more turnover and are open to new ideas, keen to develop your leadership skills, willing to help others and take action yourself then you would benefit from being a member of a Vistage CEO Peer Group. Vistage members on average triple their company rate of growth after joining. If you are based in the North West and are interested in finding out more, call Peter Dickinson on 0845 053 7417 and he can call in for 20 minutes to exchange information of what you can expect from being a member of a Vistage CEO peer group. There is no sales pitch the group has to be right you and you right for the group. LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/e4abusiness (Open Networker) Twitter: www.twitter.com/Enterprise4all Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/KUB.LTD All Social Media Profiles can be found at: http://xeeme.com/peterjdickinson
Posted on July 12, 2011, in Business Strategy, Digital Marketing, Digital Media, Digital Media Strategy, Leadership and Management Development, Profit_Improvement and tagged cloud_systems, digital_marketing, digital_media, digital_media_strategy, leadership, management, Profit_Improvement, social_media, work_anytime, work_anywhere. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.